Thursday, January 27, 2005

Suspicious Job Offers

I took the day off yesterday, to use up one of my two remaining paid holidays before I quit for good. Kind of like a test-drive for the non-working days to come.

I started my day with a hot bowl of oatmeal and some tea, and got dressed leisurely. After running a brief errand, I had lunch with Jason at a little Thai place near his office. When he went back to the office, I decided to take a walk along the street in front of the subway station to check out some of the stores. Just as I was about to enter Food Express, I was stopped by a well-dressed middle-aged Japanese woman. She said a new interior design company was just set up around here and asked me if I was interested in working for them. Taken back by surprise and entirely unprepared for this, I hastily shook my head and said I wasn’t interested. She thanked me and walked away. Going into Food Express, I thought to myself, hmm, ask me in a month or two, maybe I would’ve given it more thoughts.

I promptly forgot about this little incident and went on browsing at Yamaya, the discount wine store that also carries a lot of western food stuff. Coming out of Yamaya, I was again stopped by someone. This time, it was a man, foreign and handsome, looked a little like the French actor who played Zoro, Alan de Lone?? He spoke to me in Japanese and said a foreign company had just set up a interior design firm, would I be interested in working for them.

Huh! Are there words written on my face? Does it say, “ Soon to be out of work?” Was it my blue jeans in a sea of office garbs that gave me away (they are dressy jeans, damn it)? Or could it be that I am just oozing so much style that cries out “perfect candidate to work for interior design firm.” (I can hear Jason snickering in his office from here) I will never know now, will I?

6 comments:

Tomoko said...

Gees, what a strange incident x 2! I ain't understanding how an interior design firm will hire people off the streets? Maybe one of those typical tricky business in Japan? Oh well, if you are asked again, check it out.. :p

Lynn said...

I know, if I am looking to kill some time the next time something like this comes up, I will be sure to find out exactly what it is.

Hsin said...

Haha... tai-tai practice run? First I've heard of it. This strange method of offering jobs smells fishy. You can't be the first person they've asked. Don't mean to put down the latent interior designer in you, but it does sound like a strange way to recruit.

You won't be bored - you'll have too many classes to be bored...

Lynn said...

Well, if you think of it that way I guess it was a practice run, heh heh.

Talk about classes. Jason almost flipped out when he saw the brochure of a sewing school in our mailbox. He said he'd never go out in public with me if I wear something home-made. We'll just have to see about that. Maybe there's a latent Coco Channel or Vera Wang in me?

Hsin said...

Haha... maybe one day he'll be wearing something you made! You go, girl!

Tomoko said...

Hey, sewing school sounds good! What is wrong with making your own clothing? It is better. 1 in the world, hopefully. I used to take textile class for a short time. It was fun. Go for it, Lynn! Who cares, what men say?! :p