Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Fantasies Come True

When I was working, the weather determined the contents of my daydreams. If it was sunny and gorgeous, I’d be wishing I were somewhere in a park, having a picnic with a good book in hand and Libby by my side. If it was rainy and gloomy, I’d want to sit in my couch by the window and curl up with a cup of hot tea and stay there all day in my PJs.

Well, both fantasies have come true in the past week that I had been out of a job. I was blessed with blue skies and mild weather all week long. So I took Libby on long walks and thoroughly enjoyed the weather. Here are some of the photos I snapped with my Sony T1.


A big white pouf of cloud floating just above the tree top.



The weird-looking statue in front of the children’s castle on Aoyama-dori, next door to the UN building.



Walked past Pierre Herme’s new store on Aoyama-dori, not yet open but I am sure will have super-long lines when it does.



Fruity tarts all lined up at a newly opened café at the corner of Koto and Aoyama dori.
(Have I really been in Japan for too long? Why do these tarts loaded with fruits look almost vulgar to me? No portions should be bigger than a bite, damn it!)



The funny-looking building in Nishi-Azabu that went vacant for a long time when the nightclub it housed closed down. It now seems to have found a new tenant.

>
Picnic with Libby at Arisgawa park, and the meatloaf sandwich I packed for myself using home-made tomato sourdough bread.



Still winter, but the warm sun makes it all very tolerable.

Then today, it rained for the first time in more than a week, giving me a chance to act out my second fantasy: sitting by the window in my PJs all day long.


Someone gave me this tea a while ago and I wanted to save it for a special occasion. Today was the perfect occasion so I made it. The tea comes in little balls the size of small walnuts and open up into a flower in the hot water. I was in for a surprise because inside the tealeaves, there was a pink flower. It was really fragrant and pretty to look at too.

A perfect rainy day! Except, I had to fight with Libby for the spot.

2 comments:

brownbreadicecream said...

Lynn, what a great post! I'm so glad you're thoroughly enjoying your early (temporary?) retirement.

Oh my god, I'm so excited about the new Pierre Herme store. Finally! Are you sure it isn't opened yet? Where exactly is it?

I agree that those fruit tarts look way too large and just too much. How would you slice into those monsters without creating a huge mess?

Unknown said...

Yes, I am happy to report that I don't miss work one bit!

The Pierre Herme store is right next to the UN building, on Aoyama dori. It wasn't open yet when I walked past it last Wednesday. The store was completely empty except for those signature glass cases, and there were people in suits busying about all looking very important. I am sure it will be open JUST in time for all the giri-choco though.