Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Chive Pao - 韭菜包子




Didn't I say I was going to be less wasteful about food this year? You didn't believe me? Here's proof. I used the leftover stuffing for the chive boxes and made them into Chive Pao for lunch. Yes, I did, even though I had no idea how to make the dough for Pao. All I knew was you need to put some yeast into the dough, so I did (one teaspoon to one cup of flour), and let it rise for about an hour before shaping them into Paos. No idea how to steam them either, so I randomly picked 15 minutes and prayed for good results.

I'm not completely satisfied with the dough though. As you can probably tell, it's not as fluffy as the ones you buy in stores and the surface is not very smooth. Jason, on the other hand, had no problem with the dough but reiterated his objection to the vermicelli. Ok! I get the point!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The vermicelli was already mixed into the stuffing for the chive box, so I used the lefover mixture for the Pao.

Am going to look more into how to make dough for Pao. I want the fluffy type that you get with Cha Siew Pao at dim sum.