Monday, October 25, 2004

Commuter Fun

I take a train to work everyday, the train that leaves Akasaka Mitsuke station at 7:55am. When I get off the train, it's another 10 min of walking to my office, and every morning, I can always count on running into the same people going towards the station, and I always wonder what's the story behind.

There's the old bald guy with glasses always in a black tunic, the thickness of which changes with the season. He looks like a Feng Shui guy of some sort. By chance, I even found out where he lives and works. Am not a stalker, I swear.

There's the elementary school boy who shivers in a T-shirt and shorts even in the deadliest of winter storm. I was told boys often try to win the contest at school by wearing only a T-shirt and a pair of shorts all year round.

There's the lady with the stick, who I don't think is really blind. Seriously, I am sure I read somewhere that it is illegal in Japan to pose as blind people.

And my favorite is the cute couple who are obviously newly weds. Every morning, I see them go towards the station, in their work clothes, hand-in-hand, their wedding bands shiny on their fingers. A couple of months ago, the girl doesn't go to the station any more, and I thought, she must have quit her job. And I was right, for this morning, I saw them again, except she was in jeans and a sweat shirt. I guess she must be going to the station with him to see him off.

By the way, I take this as another sign that I should quit too!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

But you see, I don't actually watch people when I am ON the train, I use that precious 20 min to take a nap. I only watch the people that I run into when I walk from the station to my office. So no use changing the route if the end point is the same =)