Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Pierre Herme: Emotion Eden



Ok, I’m going to come clean and tell you that I actually had this a while ago, shortly after I came back to Japan. I know some of you have been waiting for another PH review, and I really did mean to tell you about it sooner, but what can I say? Life as an unemployed bum can sometimes get so busy.

Ok, first let’s get this out of the way. Someone asked me for the address of the Pierre Herme store on Aoyama-dori, so here it is. It’s in La Porte Aoyama (5-51-3 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku) next to the UN building. The closest station is Omotesando on the Ginza or Hanzomon line, exit B2.

Anyway, as I was saying, soon after I came back to Tokyo, I noticed a distinctively citrus theme at the PH store. A couple of times I passed it on my bike but was always in a hurry and didn’t have time to linger and check out the new window display, but I did spot a new addition to the Emotion range that looked oh-so-lemony. Or so I thought.

The glistening golden jelly piled on top of Emotion Eden is actually saffron flavored. If you look closely, you can actually make out the crimson threads. Well, maybe not in this photo, but trust me, they are there. The next layer is a compote of peach and apricot, followed by saffron infused cream on the very bottom. The saleslady again told me that I must scoop up all the layers so that the saffron flavor does not overwhelm me. This hardly worries me as I am a huge fan of saffron. When I asked if this was going to be a summer item only, she assured me that if enough customers like it, it will be available year-round. But just in case, you should go and try it before it disappears for good.

That night, Emotion Eden received rave reviews. Jason practically licked the glass clean and went on to say that out of all the Emotions, Eden is his favorite. You really have to taste it to believe that yes, apricot and saffron are the perfect match. Jason claims that he has no idea what saffron tastes like, but I do suspect that you’d have to really love saffron to like this dessert, because despite the strong peach and apricot flavors, the saffron shines through. Again, no complaint from me, but don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Past Pierre Herme entries:

Emotion Ludic & Inca

Desire

Emotion Ispahan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn- I guess Iam the first one to comment on your latest PH post. I am glad that you share your PH moment with us even if you are busy. I think the Emotion Eden is really interesting because I never had a dessert before made with saffron. I only came acroos with saffron on a Spanish Paella dish and I do like it, so I think I will also like this dessert. There are new PH dessert named Sensation Ispahan and Sensation Satine available and I wonder if you did see them lately? Another dessert that interest me is the cake on stick, I am not really sure on the name but it is available in green and pink color and I am also not sure on the components but if I am not mistaken its called Mr. H. And by the way, many of the reviewers said that Tango is good (a cake made with parmesan cheese, red pepper, raspberry and chilis) as well as Arabella (hazelnut, milk chocolate, banana, ginger, and passionfruit). I wonder if you have try any of them? Thank You and will wait for your next PH post. Cathy

Anonymous said...

Lynn, I almost bought this dessert at Herme shop in Paris the other week, but the guy in front of us bought five of them and that was it. I was also tempted by the ones on stick like Cathy said...

Unknown said...

Cathy, I don't believe I've seen the cake on a stick here in Tokyo. That would be a very interesting thing to try.

Keiko, what did you end up getting in place of Emotion Eden?

Anonymous said...

Hello Lynn! Just found your blog today and it is really great! I go to the PH at Ikspiari at Tokyo Disney Resort and love it! Definately looking forward to more of your blog entries!