Monday, October 02, 2006

Moving, yet again

To make a long story short, five months after moving to Hong Kong, less than four months in our apartment, and two months after getting our brand new furniture that are custom made to fit our apartment, we are being transferred to Singapore. To be fair, the choice was partly ours because I never really managed to like living in Hong Kong, and on a recent trip back to Singapore I realized how much cleaner and orderly it is over there and how much I had missed the food. So when we were offered the chance to move back, we jumped at it.

Don’t get me wrong, Hong Kong has its good points: the best dim sum I’ve ever had; the best sales; my huge kitchen with the double fridge; the numerous hiking trails nearby; and the fantastic view on a clear day… But then again there’s the stress of having to deal with substandard quality of service on a daily basis; the crowd every time I go to Central to run errands; the language barrier; and the constant feeling of being ripped off because you’re an outsider and don’t speak the language.

So we’re moving, back to Singapore where Jason lived for more than four years when he first started working and I for less than three years. The only complication is that I’ll be in Tokyo for almost three months to finish the advanced level of Le Cordon Bleu’s pastry course and our move will happen while I’m in Tokyo. The packing won’t be too bad because the movers will take care of everything, but Libby has to be in quarantine for one month in Singapore and I won’t be there to visit her everyday. My poor baby!


10 comments:

baobei said...

welcome! welcome! hope to see you when you get to Singapore!

Anne said...

Glad to hear you are back to school- I am eager to read about and see your pastry experiences. Best of luck with the move!

Anonymous said...

Singapore is a very humid place too!But, hope the lush greenery will brighten your day!
~Welcome to Singapore~

Anonymous said...

i am from singapore and i love the food there and i love the convenience of everything. But i miss the 'quality' of life of the western culture where work finishes at 6pm and there is a clear divide between work and play. nevertheless, i would so much love for you to capture amazing food photos of Singapore. I miss the food there.

miss cupcake said...

I lived in both cities and must say both places have their charms..however, if you are fed up with what you think is sub-standard service in HK, you'll be in for a big shock. Friends who moved from NY to Singapore have a lot to whinge about the Singaporean service. Very few places in the world match Japan in quality of service. Good luck.

Sammy said...

Welcome to Singapore!!! Loads of good food here :) Sad to say, miss cupcake is right about the service here though there are still good services around. well, don;t hesitate to ask if u need anything or surf ard our plentiful local food blogs :)

Unknown said...

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I know it's hard to get the kind of service you get in Tokyo anywhere else in the world, but trust me, Singapore is still much much better than HK. I only wish it had change of seasons...

Anonymous said...

welcome to Singapore ! I am sure libby will like it here...heaps of parks :)

Short Stories said...

Singapore is beautiful!

Unknown said...

yes, Singapore is beautiful but they need more quarantine spaces!! Was just informed that there's no space in quarantine until end of the year. We might need to leave Libby behind (>_<)